Monday 4 March 2013

It's Not About The Money!

I just finished reading an article on tsn.ca about the Baltimore Ravens signing their franchise QB Joe Flaco to a new multi year, multi million dollar contract. It is - ready for this? you better sit down- worth $120.6 million over six years. He is now the highest paid NFL player in history.

Now I don't want to judge the man but it's hard to do when I read: to quote in his own words, "It's not really about the money, it's about the respect."  REALLY! My question is then, "Well Joe, if it's not about the money then why even ask for that much money?"   Think of it people - if that money is divided up over 6 years that is $20,100,000 A YEAR! That is $1,256,250.00 per game in a 16 game season.

Yes I am a littler worked up over this. Call me jealous if you wish but I am not. No man is worth over a million dollars for an hour of his time on field. I guess what gets me is his "not money but respect" issue. Yes, his on field performance and the record that the team has had since he turned pro is impressive. This to me still has to do with the money. Always has and always will.  I hope that he does more with his earnings than just let it build interest in the bank.  Respect to me will be earned when he contributes back to his community, how he handles himself in the spotlight on and off the field.

OK I'm finished  Yes, he is a great athlete - a quarterback. Yes, I'm a Ravens fan and have been for many years now. Maybe he can pass a few bucks over this way so I can buy a few more Tim Horton's coffee and have the odds in my favour of winning something.

Until next time,
Chi-Meegwetch

Baamapii




1 comment:

  1. That is unreal. The amount of money paid for entertainment. Its not like he is curing cancer or anything. but yeah the comment about it not being about money and it being about respect. I guess money equals respect?
    later
    steve

    ReplyDelete